Friday, April 3, 2009

FINAL SCORE: JAPANESE THEATER COMPANY 1, MATRIX 0

As I may have mentioned before, I really can't stand the CGI special effects that Hollywood seems to be churning out so liberally these days. To me, the difference in quality between current digital-blockbuster-extravaganzas like the Lord of the Rings trilogy or The Matrix and the hand-crafted works of masters like Tom Savini or Stan Winston is as obvious as the gaping yawn of decency that separates The Phantom Menace from The Empire Strikes Back. Personally crafted special effects, from latex and fake blood to animatronics and simple camera tricks, just seem to be more charming, more feasible, and simply more effective than creations of the digital world.

Gee, if only I had some sort of visual example to drive home my point...

Oh wait, here's something!
Thanks, Japan.


And then there's this, only partially related but still proving my point:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Harryhausen muhfucka