Friday, April 9, 2010

BROMANTIC INTERLUDE #8: Mike Desert Is The Monster At The End of This Blog

For today's journey into sonic Bromanticism we are joined by Mike Desert (right), creator of the retrodelic punktastrophe known as BLOG THE JERK! as well as being an all-around nice dude and expert on all things garage, horror, gore, metal, and otherwise. Knowing that Mike tends to haunt certain Bay Area locations also frequented by the IC Writing Staff, Bro Cory recommended him for an Interlude, and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.
Today's theme? Hmmm... Let's see, we've already covered DRUGS, Greek black metal, DRUGS, THE FUTURE, Valentine's Day, DRUGS, APOCALYPSE, prog metal, and BLOOD. Sooo... DRUGS?

Nah. Let's do MONSTERS. Have at it, Mike.

- Cobras




I've been a fan of monster movies since I first read Grover's famous book (I couldn't WAIT to see the "monster" at the end) and met my mom's friend and TV horror host "Grimsley" (I thought he was the coolest) as a kid.

Growing up I couldn't get enough bloody beheadings on cable while on Sundays was KTLA's "Family Film Festival" that showcased everything from Universal monster movies, epic Ray Harryhausen adventures, classic sci-fi — and the occasional Doris Day flick. I wasn't any different than the other kids my age (although talking about the crucifix-as-dildo scene in the Exorcist got me booted from Sunday School), but like video games and comics, some kids grow out of it and some don't. Thank Satan and all who bathe in his glory I never did.

There are basically two ways I think about monsters, in one category you have the darker, unseen monster that will tear your foot off if dangle it over the side of your bed at night; The semi-retarded killer in drag who kidnaps and ties you up with duct tape in an abandoned dog food factory; The mad dentist asking "Is it safe?" as his drill explores your mouth.

On the other hand, you got the fun "monster party" records. Perhaps you were unaware, but the '50s and '60s were a real swinging time for monsters, and some of the music they and their admirers made is pretty great stuff. Garage, punk and surf bands over the years have written some terrific tunes in praise of these misunderstood creatures.

Thankfully Shelby let me make a "side A" and "side B" for this one. Side A is a darker, weirder (and more metal) comp, while side B is a bit more of a "invite a monster over for a go-go party" affair. Some songs are literally about monsters, others are way more abstract.

Any monster fan who hasn't checked out my friend Adam's blog Goodnight Whatever You Are will find a shittonne of great stuff there, including some great pre-made monster comps to download (but listen to mine first, dammit!).

So thanks again, and I hope you enjoy the tunes — but remember:
Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.


Sweet dreams, suckers!
— Mike Desert

Photos:


1. "All I want for Christmas is to grow gills, and return to the water".
2.
Me around 4 years old.
3. Me in 1st grade as a horrible demon of greed and lust.
4. My mom with the machete from Friday the 13th part ?





Monster Interlude Side A



Monster Interlude Side B


3 comments:

Shelby Cobras said...

Dude, The Monster At The End of This Book was my FUCKING FAVORITE when I was wee. Big ups and thanks again.

Mike Desert said...

Thanks for having me! That book is a classic!

GOODNIGHT WHATEVER YOU ARE! said...

thanks for the props Mike!