Saturday, December 18, 2010

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART # - 1 (WITH RESPECT TO THE THING)

I don't want to step on the toes of The Thing that Should Not Be, but I really wanted to post a few of my favorite Beefheart related items here as well. I agree with Thing's sentiment about heroes dying, and while I'm not sure if I would call Mr van Vliet a hero of mine, I can't think of another artist I respect more than Captain Beefheart. In all honesty, I still haven't "figured out" Trout Mask Replica, and have been known to both dismiss it as total bullshit and absolute genius, sometimes in the same sentence, and I always expected that he would make another album at some point. Anyway, the world lost a great artist.



Here's one of van Vliet's paitings, Feather Times a Feather:


1 comment:

The Thing That Should Not Be said...

Good call Jack. I would have done a longer post but, to be honest, by the time I heard about it and got myself together I was pretty wiped-out. Glad you stepped up and did this. Maybe a few more of us will post some Beefheart too...