Monday, December 20, 2010

AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A HAUSU PARTY



Long story short: 1977's Hausu AKA House, a psychedelic-schoolgirl horror-romp directed by Nobuhiko Obayashi, is the BEST FUCKING MOVIE EVER. I will not entertain any argument to the contrary. This is a fact.
It is pure insanity that I hadn't seen this movie until a week and a half ago, and I am now a changed man. There are no words to describe the experience. Either you've been there or you haven't. Wikipedia says this: "The film is about a schoolgirl traveling with her six classmates to her ailing aunt's country home, where they come face to face with supernatural events as the girls become devoured by the home one by one." I say that any attempt at trying to explain this film is doing it a disservice.

Sweet fan art


Hausu is just plain nuts--funny, weird, and completely "outsider"--while still being almost as creepy as this:




... or this:




But like I said, explanation = disservice. How about I show you a quick preview, and then let Hausu explain itself... With pictures?























Oh wait, that last one wasn't from Hausu at all! That was from some shitty cartoon I saw last week. The name escapes me, but i think it was called Desecration of A Masterpiece or something like that...


Hausu has finally received international release, meaning you can now get it on Netflix. But I recommend just buckling down and buying it instead. This thing warrants repeat viewing.


... Now go download the amazing soundtrack courtesy of Brother Phelpster over at The Manchester Morgue. You're welcome.

10 comments:

JGD said...

this looks fucking amazing.

Shelby Cobras said...

It's nowhere near as good as listening to an Artery Eruption album, but yeah, it's pretty fucking rad.

Crankenstien said...

This is a classic I even have a homemade "House" coffee cup !

The Thing That Should Not Be said...

Looks and sounds pretty pretty good. I'll hunt it down.

The Thing That Should Not Be said...

Got it, but I'll be a monkeys uncle if I know how to make the subs work - WTF is an SRT file?!?!

Nekromantis said...

Yeah this flick is awsome.

Aylmer said...

Love this movie!

Korla said...

One of the best ever. The "Ennio Morricone"-Part is one of the funniest moments in the movies i can remember.

mikey bloodbath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mikey bloodbath said...

this flick is badass, required viewing to work at my ole video store.

thing that should not be, the srt file is the subtitles. try something like mplayer (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/projects.html#mplayer_frontends) or vlc player. makes subtitles much easier to deal with