Friday, July 16, 2010

Akimbros



Aylmer commented the other day that Akimbo doesn’t get a lot of love on the internet. That’s true man. They don’t get a lot of love in real life either. I can’t get a single one of my bros into that band. Maybe it’s because they’re not metal. They started as a hardcore band in the late 90’s. But it’s not like they’re a ‘punk’ band. They’re heavy as fuck. They crush. They also just don’t give a fuck. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a band give less of a fuck. It’s almost hard to describe, but imagine a dude smoking weed and playing D&D in his moms basement for like ten years. Then one day he accidentally smokes some angel dust and his Cheeto stained hands are now pounding holes in the walls and tossing furniture all over the room. It’s hessian but it’s fast and loose. It’s wearing a Simpons shirt, but it’s foaming at the mouth. Does this make sense? Anyway, my friends are idiots.





Although they too have righteously ridiculous song titles, there is NOTHING fancy about Akimbo. See: Spooning With Disaster, Sc-Fi Monster Violence, I'm a Fucking Ice Giant and Tina, Bring me the Axe.




All art for this band is handled by shredding drummer Nat Damm. Feel free to hire him for posters/shirts ect. I’m a big fan of “Dragon ass fucking Socrates” and other related works.




Here’s me repping some Akimbo at Fantasy Studios in Berkley circa 2008.




I think they were supporting this album when I saw them in San Francisco. I was crushed.


Crush Punk



Anyway, they put out a new record called Jersey Shore and it’s not about blowouts and six packs, its about getting eaten by sharks. Its pretty damm good. If you dig Forging Steel and Laying Stone, then you should check the new one out here. You should probably also pick up Navigating the Bronze on vinyl right over here.




total bros




and epic lols

7 comments:

Shelby Cobras said...

I too am a proud owner of the Socrates-Dragon assrape shirt. My boss got kind of upset at me for wearing it to work once. That's becuz he's a PUSSY and he duzn't listen to fukken AKIMBO!!!

Aesop said...

One of the only bands to have Ludicra nervous about playing after them.

Aylmer said...

That's quite a compliment. Akimbo are amazing. Why the lack of love? I was wearing my akimbo shirt (mantlers) when I saw Black Cobra, and Rafael raved to me about wht cool dudes they are, kind of mentoring B.C. when they started out. I would have given an arm to be at one of their Black Flag cover shows in Seatle or Portland.

Shelby Cobras said...

Noooowwwwwwww I get it

The Thing That Should Not Be said...

WHats with the M4A format files?!?!?!

Aesop said...

Also, that pic with Tom what's his face from RATM was taken at the show we played with them. That guy told me I was in the best band in the world and then realized I wasn't Nat from Akimbo.

Shelby Cobras said...

Dude I saw Tom Morello playing on some Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame "Guitar Gods" TV special on cable. He was rocking a duet with Bruce Springsteen on "Tom Joad" I think. It was the worst thing I have ever seen or heard.