Wednesday, March 31, 2010

PIXIES - LIVE IN GLASTONBURY (1989)

By Del Tigre



Out of all the contributors here on Illegal Contraception, I am pretty sure that I am the LEAST metal. I'm not going to go into my lack of metal qualifications here, suffice to say that, were you to dig, some decidedly un-metal concepts like "football," "law school" and "the entire discography of Prince" might surface. That said, I am pretty sure that both this blog and its readership benefit from my flawless taste in shit. So here's some more quality music from yours truly, E. Del Tigre!

Disclaimer: the above disclaimer was intended to disclaim the following statement: I fucking LOVE the Pixies. Call me a dork, call me stuck in the 90s, whatever. The fact remains that I'm right, and so are you, if you love the Pixies. Now I'm not here to lecture you about their best album (pro tip: Trompe Le Monde), or the unsurpassed psychedelic mind-fuck of said album--no. I'm here to share with you a kick-ass live show.

This is an FM broadcast of a concert the band played in Europe in 1989. I've heard a lot of Pixies bootlegs, and I think this is one of the best, not only because of the top notch sound quality, but because the band is really channeling that raw, deranged energy of theirs that I dig so much. It's heavy shit, man.

Pixies - Live in Glastonbury (1989)

Track Listing:
1. Bone Machine
2. Cactus
3. Dead
4. Gouge Away
5. Hey
6. I Bleed
7. Levitate Me
8. Monkey Gone To Heaven
9. No. 13 Baby
10. River Euphrates
11. There Goes My Gun
12. Vamos
13. Where Is My Mind

Download

What's that? You doubt how awesome this band is live? Just you hush your mouth...shhhhhhh:



Parts 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.

8 comments:

Steven said...

Entombed, Mr Bungle, Pixies = top-shelf early 90's party music in my world

Shelby Cobras said...

RyGar: A) I really like the way you capitalized "Man".

B) I agree with your sentiment about Surfer Rosa

C) "trannie" wins the captcha game.

Charles T Heckler said...

Pixies records are like post-65 Beatles records, they're all somebody's favorite.

Erik said...

I knew it. Mentioning "Best Pixies Album" on a music blog is like tossing a steak into a room full of fatties.

Surfer Rosa is awesome. But for reasons I'll only vaguely and tantalizingly allude to in print, I think Trompe Le Monde wins. Album is fucking insane.

Shelby Cobras said...

It was just Charles, dude.

I think you can replace the phrase "like tossing a steak into a room full of fatties" with "like casually mentioning anything to Charles, ever".

Camellia sinensis said...

having lived in Eureka for 8 years i was overexposed to the Pixies and The flaming lips...So pardon me if i shudder....I guess i still have sonic trauma around that. i think its a damn shame though that they receive so much fanfare when Joey Santiago has been quoted as saying he and Black Francis were heavily influenced by The Gun Club...what gives?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkuK35mTUmw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsXe1E7gfNE

Erik said...

I'd never heard The Gun Club until now. Sounds exactly like the Pixies. Wow.

And for the record, I hate the Flaming Lips like I hate Burning Man.

Camellia sinensis said...

burners suck.... Agreed.