Thursday, December 31, 2009

BBUGG + JUGGERNAUT - THE CATO STREET CONSPIRACY - 2003

I also met Kurt Vonnegut Jr once. To be honest, I didn't really meet him, but I did do him a small favor, and I've always considered it infinitely cooler than the time I met Ray Bradbury at a post-lecture book signing.
I was twenty two, I think. Vonnegut was giving a lecture/speech thing at this Unitarian church in Kansas City that sometimes allowed punk rock bands to play in the basement. I was there with a few friends and after we went inside to buy tickets to the event we headed outside to do something, I'm not sure what. I opened the door and walked outside when I noticed that I was ahead of my friends so, because I'm such a nice guy, I stopped and held the door open for them. While holding the door I turned to light a cigarette and noticed a car pull up to the curb and a man hop out of the backseat and move quickly towards the door. As he got closer he looked up and I saw this face:


Actually, it was much older, and much more curmudgeonly than that but as he walked through the door I was holding he said, "Thank you, young man", and walked off. To this day I still consider this one of my greatest accomplishments.
Of, course, this has nothing to do with what I intended to post. Which is this:



The Cato Street Conspiracy is a split release by two French bands. Bbugg is an 'electro metal swing duo', a description which comes from the band, not me. Personally, I think they have a nu-metal sound, but I'm probably wrong since I never listened to nu-metal.

Juggernaut, however, is the real reason for this post. I've always described their stuff on here as 'crushing'. Maybe cacophonous would be better. I'm not sure if this is the same band.

Here is one review I found, which may help to clear things up.

Oh, and a happy (and safe) new year to all IC readers.
dl
(PS - The Juggernaut tracks are 1, 3, and 5. Bbugg is 2, 4, and track six is a collaboration.)

No comments: