Friday, January 21, 2011

WELT - PARANOID DELUSION EP (1994)


First off, just take a minute to fully soak in that cover art. Go ahead, I can wait...

I fucking love albums like this. FUCKING LOVE 'EM. You guys get it? The poorly-drawn dude looking through the blinds? He's having a "PARANOID DELUSION". Get it? The name of the album. It's literally being acted out on the cover. Literally. If you're still having trouble understanding, just hit me up at illogicalcontraption(at)yahoo(dot)com and I'll try and walk you through it.
Pure ham-fisted Long Island MOSH, featuring some Bros that were in Suffocation (OG guitarist Doug Cerrito and mid-90's drummer Doug Bohn, specifically). Has anyone used the term "Proto-Wigger Slam" yet? Like in that clumsy, crunchy, totally-straight-faced meathead, Internal Bleeding/Pyrexia kinda way, you know? Is that a "thing"?
Whatever. The riffs here are surprisingly dissonant and tasty, Bohn's drum work is top-notch, and the entire package is actually probably alot better than you are expecting it to be. But man, the singer. Oh man. Basically, this is a band doing a really good Suffocation impersonation with a really, really, really drunk and semi-laryngitic Tom Warrior on vocals. If you can't hang with this then you don't have a soul. Listen to it all weekend while you huff paint in your parents' basement and take in that Married... With Children marathon.

HEEEYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Welt/Encyclopaedia Metallum

3 comments:

jethro skull said...

Man,I've been lurkin around this blog for a few months now and after reading all the past entries I gotta raise a mighty doom claw,you've reviewed a strange amout of slabs that not only do I have but shit folks never talk about(armageddon,aphrodites child,acrid,my dogs MOLEHILL,fkkn coffin texts,too many to remember on this sticky headband strain.can i suggestWHITE WITCH,ATOMIC ROOSTER,FLOWER TRAVELING BAND, or 70s era WHITESNAKE.:..som oldschool I think you'll dig ,prob already do. Anyway,I'm impressed,you sir are a heathen who knows the way.hail the reptoid christ.if yalls band rolls thru TENN,holler @ me,I got hookups.
Metal...

Shelby Cobras said...

Cool, thanks alot man.
I wrote up Atomic Rooster and Flower Travellin' Band in the early days of this blog, I guess those are a couple bands I should revisit eventually. White Witch was shared by our friend Aesop long ago on the Cosmic Hearse (they are from his native Florida) and have remained a favorite in the ol' iTunes library ever since. As for Whitesnake, I never really got into their early stuff, but I guess it's time to give it a second shot...

Lazarus Lupin said...

wow a good coherent review that makes me understand this band without hearing one note. I myself love the design of the band name myself.

Lazarus Lupin
http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/
art and review