Monday, January 17, 2011

SWORDS + BONERS + OUTER SPACE = CLYDE CALDWELL

Clyde Caldwell (right) is a fantasy/sci-fi/D&D artist whose name I became familiar with only recently, via introduction by Sweet Baby Jay. Born in 1948 in North Carolina, Caldwell first began working regularly as an illustrator in the early 80's, with the rise of the role-playing phenomenon. Similar in form and function to the works of Vallejo or Frazetta (more so Vallejo), or even the like-minded swords and sorcery of fellow D&D wizard Erol Otus, Caldwell has found a solid niche in the fantasy-art genre, and his "future of the 80's" style is the perfect analog to anything from Nocturnus' The Key to Cirith Ungol's Frost And Fire. Enjoy a couple dozen lo-res replications of Caldwell's work, selected at random, then head over to his website and buy some prints. But only if you are a fan of heavy metal, boobs, or spaceships.

























CLYDE CALDWELL ONLINE

Classy people: BUY ART HERE (2 for 1 special on prints, January 1-31!)

6 comments:

The Goodkind said...

Thanks for reminding me of the bad old days Cobras. Boners indeed, look at all those phallic symbols. I mean, whats more nervous-teen-boy-masturbatory than a naked lady caressing a big snake? Double boner.

Shelby Cobras said...

I've read critiques of Caldwell's work saying the detail that distinguishes him from other fantasy artists is the sleek, serpentine appearance of his dragons. Which, in turn, could be interpreted as analogous to the male phallus. But c'mon! I really doubt it. I mean, really.

Shelby Cobras said...

I do.

Wait. "Dragon", or "draggin"?

Aylmer said...

I've never noticed this guy, which is weird cuz I love fantasy/SF art. Thanks for the introduction. Style and technique remind me mostly of Boris, with a little of the brothers Hildebrandt too.

Nekromantis said...

These pics really take me back and makes me sentimental. The Golden General especially is above any of my critique because I still remember how it tickled my nerdy senses when I was younger.

Manslaughter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.