Saturday, April 17, 2010

THE CROOKS: Two EPs From An Awesome Band You've Never Heard Before

No cover art today, sorry. But don't let that deter you. These two EP's came to me on Sharpied CD-R's five or six years ago, courtesy of my Bros Dave (right) and Ian (below, left), four and six-string instrument molesters (respectively) for The Crooks. I played tons of shows with these guys back in the day, and was always blown away by their skill, intensity, and complex songwriting. Unfortunately, these guys lived in a town with a population of approximately six people, and never (to my knowledge) got to tour or distribute their music to even a moderately-sized audience (they did, however, show up on three Maximumrockandroll Top 10 lists a couple years ago, according to their Myspace page). So today I'm doing one for my buddies. This band kicks ass, and if you're into stuff like the Descendents or crippling alcoholism you will definitely dig them.

Dave and Ian started off in a band called the DT's, who I'm pretty sure are still around and playing shows in Humboldt County to this day. I never managed to get any music from the DT's, though, nor did I ever manage to collect recordings from any of Dave and Ian's other projects (Hoss, The Bodies, The Roadside Bombs, The Trends, The Cadavers, The Smashed Glass, Fifth Base, The Electric Homies, or Gina Gershon and the Gushing Herpes, to name just a few). But what I did get was gold: two releases from The Crooks, the 7-song 2004 EP Bigger Than Jesus and the 5-song EP (I don't know what year it came out) entitled Party. Fast, fun, ass-kicking hardcore punk music about drinking, fucking, fighting, and then drinking some more.

To sum it all up, allow me to leave you with the lyrics from a song (don't know the title, sorry) off of Party. These are the only lyrics (it's about 30 seconds long), and they sum up The Crooks' world view pretty well:

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT I SAY I'M GOING HOME ALONE
SO FUCK YOU ALL - SUCK MY DICK
YOU ASSHOLES FUCKING MAKE ME SICK.


Pure poetry. Download both EP's HERE

Crooks Myspace

No comments: