12 hours ago
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Above: Tamara and me at the DeYoung Museum, SF, 2006(?)
So, my sister challenged me specifically on her blog yesterday to take part in this "7 Random Facts About Yourself" thing. This sort of thing ain't usually my bag, but I'm sure she'll rag on me until I do it. So tell you what, Sis, I'll meet you halfway. I'll tell you 7 things you don't want to know about me, but I'm not gonna forward this thing to 7 other people because a) I don't KNOW 7 people with blogs and b) the ones I DO know would not take part. Fair enough? OK then.
1) My first big concert ever was The Pointer Sisters at Disneyland when I was 3.
2) My second big concert ever was Lynyrd Skynyrd and Bad Company at the Seattle Arena when I was about 12.
3) I took my son to his first big concert last August. It was Iron Maiden and Anthrax at Irvine Meadows.
4) My first car was a 1974 Chevy Monte Carlo that my dad got for $100. It was more rust than steel and there were little blue mushrooms growing in the back seat when I finally laid it to rest. Compare this with Tamara's first car, a 1952 Chevy pickup with a 327 V8 under the hood, and I think it's fairly obvious who our parents loved more.
5) I delivered room service to Steven Speilberg once, when I was about 16. He was really cool and gave me a 20 dollar tip.
6) My first gig in the production industry (my current line of work) was working as a runner at a Barry Manilow concert. I ended up frantically rushing around grocery stores in Concord, CA, looking for a place that sold shelled, unsalted pistachios to meet Mr. Manilow's tour rider. He is a weird guy. All crew were instructed to not look him directly in the eye. Seriously.
7) At a young age, I once dumped a bunch of fake vomit over the balcony in a movie theater. I caused several other people to vomit as a result. Soon the whole theater was filled with sound of people puking and the scent of rancid barf. Oh wait, that wasn't me, that was Chunk from "The Goonies".
Above: My sister and brother-in-law Matt. She has severe gastrointestinal problems.