Friday, February 12, 2010

BROMANTIC INTERLUDE #3: Todd Goes To The Future

For the fourth installment of 'Bromantic Interludes', we are very lucky to be graced by the presence of Todd from Primitive Future (left - yes, of course that's actually him). I basically lifted the whole "guest mix" idea from Todd and P-Future, so I'm especially stoked on his contribution here.
By now, you guys are most likely familiar with the premise here. I give someone a concept to build a mix off of, etc. etc...
'Nuff said. Take it, Todd.



So Shelby asked me to do a mix based on the theme "The Future," and I thought this was a cool idea because Illogical Contraption rules. You think I’ll do a guest post for just anybody? This mix follows a loose narrative of cliché future stories by starting off with some sort of idyllic setting in which progress has been made (and continues to be made), and synergy and other similar concepts exist in cities.

Imagine babes in outfits based upon geometric shapes frolicking in golden lighting with hints of purple and blue on the path to a nice moonship journey. However, history inevitably repeats itself and the bubbling utopian metropolis turns silver, grey and austere as borderline fascist tendencies appeal to the mediocrity lurking in the masses. Strife, dwindling resources, and disease reduce civilization to ghost towns picked over by traveling bands of humans. As these nomads forage through the echoing shells of former glory, long dormant coding in their genes becomes expressed once again. And then the cycle starts all over. Primitive future.

This is fun for me because I included some of my favorite things. Suffocation, Donna Summer, Sun Ra and Ashra? Fuck, what more could you ask for. I mean other than Godflesh & Sepultura? It was kind of cool to play with songs as colors and textures as part of a larger picture rather than overanalyzing song structures or harmonic construction. So what I’m saying is that I’ve decided to become the coolest new DJ, so hit me up if your party needs more punkstep, garage bass, acid jungle, deep hypno, or gibber gabber.

Conveniently/coincidentally, I’ve blogged about a chunk of these records. If you’re missing something or if you’re intrigued, click on through http://primitive-future.blogspot.com. And I’ve got to plug my Celtic Frost worship band that is currently in the studio putting frowning songs to tape. Our demo is free and heavy here: http://likerats.net

Tracklist:

1. Raymond Scott - Sprite "Melonball Bounce"
2. Neu! - Isi
3. Ashra - 77 Slightly Delayed
4. Donna Summer - Sunset People
5. Sun Ra - Moonship Journey
6. Giorgio Moroder - Lost Angeles
7. Model 500 - Future (instrumental)
8. Dopplereffekt - Superior Race
9. Front 242 - Headhunter
10. Suffocation - Reincremation
11. Godflesh - Wounds
12. Nekropolis - Ghul
13. Zero Kama - Hassan I Sabbah
14. Sepultura - Primitive Future

DOWNLOAD THE FUTURE

4 comments:

Shelby Cobras said...

I am impressed not only with the music selection, but with the fact that you renumbered your mp3 files to maintain the flow of your tracklist. We are obviously dealing with a professional here.

Thanks, Todd.

Shelby Cobras said...

PS: I totally, like, "get it", man...
Like the beginning is all happy bouncy progress and analog synthesizers and organic jazz good times and then the robots advance with some Moroder and we sense menace and then things start getting kind of Orwellian around Front 242/Dopplereffekt and then FUUUUCCCCKKKK Reincremation apocalypse and buildings collapse and Frank Mullen is speed-karate-chopping us in the face and we sift through the ashes with Godflesh and then it all starts all over again with "Primitive Future" (ZING!).

Well played.

You are like the Koyaanisqatsi of bromantic interludes.

Helm said...

That's a pretty good mix man! I was expecting

OBSCURED BY THE SUN
APOCALYPTIC CLASH
CITIES FALL IN RUIN
WHY MUST WE DIE

VICTIMS OF WAR
SEEKING SOME SALVATION
LAST WISH FATALITY
I'VE NO LAND
I'M FROM NOWHERE
ASHES TO ASHES
DUST TO DUST

FACE THE ENEMY
MANIC THOUGHTS
RELIGIOUS INTERVENTION
PROBLEMS REMAIN

as far as Sepultura go, though!

Todd said...

Shelby - Exactly, although I was thinking Godflesh was still part of the "active violence" phase of the narrative. Whatever works 4 u though, dogg.

Helm - I had to put "Primitive Future" on there because:

1. It's the name of my blog.
2. The lyrics of the song pretty much sum up the theme of the mix.
3. Really good song.