Thursday, September 2, 2010

Joseph




Sometimes when I’m thinking about posting a particularly obscure record that I’m fond of, I’ll get this weird protective urge to keep it to myself. It’s weird and I think that impulse comes from a dark place. And, considering how indebted I am to others that work hard to share music that’s special to them, this impulse is about as Treasure of the Sierra Madre as you can get (did you know the term Bogarting came from that film?).

Anyway, in the spirit of righteousness triumphing over selfishness, here’s some Joseph. Another one of my all time favorite dudes.





From somewhere:
“This is a rare album indeed and much sought after, originally released on the Scepter label (SPS 574) in 1970 and recorded in Memphis at the legendary American Sound Studios. The 'Joseph' was in fact Joseph Long or Joseph Longeria, discovered by the album's producer and A & R man Steve Tyrell playing in Houston in a battle of the blues competition. This is the only known foray into recording that Longeria made and he was a superb guitar player to boot. Stoned Age Man contains some of weirdest lyrics ever written. Check out 'I Ain't Fattenin' No More Frogs for Snakes' and the eastern 'Cold Biscuits and Fish Heads.' This is an obscure classic that lovers of blues rock should not hesitate to have in their collection... the voice you may ask... well think Roky Erickson, Jim Dandy and Beefheart....you can't really go wrong”

I found this record when I was roaming the west coast, despondent and penniless. At the time it was the perfect combination of desperation and ambivalence. Besides, starving a little just makes you tough. Enjoy these tunes while finding shade under a bridge.





this record is awesome

2 comments:

The Thing That Should Not Be said...

Nice. Love that guys voice. Thanks Seanford, your sharing is appreciated.

Manslaughter said...

STOP BEING A PRUDE AND GIVE IT UP. Oh and thanks for giving this up. It's awesome.