Thursday, August 26, 2010

MITCH HEDBERG IS DEAD



Mitch Hedberg pioneered the oft-neglected subgenre of Stoner Comedy, a brand of stand-up chock full of one-liners, stupid wordplay, and subject matter often involving food, candy, drugs, and more food. Similar in spirit to earlier comics such as Steven Wright and Henny Youngman, Hedberg's "outsider" slant won him a good-sized cult following before his untimely drug-related death in 2005 at the age of 37. This guy cracks me up. If you smoke weed or are just entertained by really mundane, stupid things (I'm in the second group), you should check Mitch out.

Here are 2 live albums from the guy who brought you such classics as:

"A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef."

and

"I went to a record store, they said they specialized in hard-to-find records. NOTHING WAS ALPHABETIZED!"

and

"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’s really goin on down there? Who is the real hero?"

and

"My girl works at Hooters, in the kitchen."

and

"If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade."

and

"'I like sandwiches with three pieces of bread'. 'Me too!'. 'We should form a club.'

and

"I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too."

and

"I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long."

and

"I ordered a chicken sandwich but I think the waitress misunderstood me because she said, 'How would you like your eggs?' So I tried to answer her anyhow. I said 'Incubated, and then raised, and then beheaded, and then plucked and then cut up then put onto a grill then put onto a bun. Shit, it's gonna take awhile. I don't have time, scrambled!'"

and

"I think the entrance to Target should have people splattered all around."

and

"If carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be fucked up."


MITCH ALL TOGETHER (2004)



STRATEGIC GRILL LOCATIONS (2003)

6 comments:

The Thing That Should Not Be said...

I do not know who he is. I also don't smoke pot, does finding him funny rely on that? I mean, I have laughed at Cheech and Chong on occasion.

Shelby Cobras said...

Do you find amusement in stupid things? Cuz I don't smoke weed either but I think Hedberg is hilarious. Then again I am amused by the Naked Gun films and sounds that emanate from one's anus...

SEANFORD said...

hesh in peace

Mister Booze said...

I loved that guy. He had the best one liners. I miss that guy. Thanks for this post, I'm going on a trip and it is perfect for the long ride.

Helm said...

The Thing That Should Not Be: I don't do any kind of drugs and he's hilarious. Do give it a listen.

Varth said...

He's the only comedian I've heard do a death metal joke. I find Cheech & Chong's comedy fucking dismal (besides the first movie being a classic, it has THE DILS in it), this is more like really funny short jokes and damn near one lines, more like two liners. The best one I saw is where he just sits down on the set of the stage with glasses on and just stares at the floor talking into the mic, it was funny as hell.