Monday, August 23, 2010

BURNING DAN: Lol @ Douche

As much as I hate to say it, gang, Summer is winding to a close. Despite one last stubborn heat wave edging its way into the usually-foggy Bay Area, things are definitely "chilling out", as the season for camping trips and beach parties tips its hat for one final adieu. But there is ONE event left to look forward to this year. That's right, fuckers: BURNING MAN.

Right about now, you're probably having the same Burning Man concerns as all the rest of us here at ICHQ: What do I do to set myself apart at The Man this year? How do I express my "individuality" in a way that won't call too much attention to me and/or offend other attendants? There must be some sort of "trippy" skill I can master in the next week or so...

Well, friends, you're in luck. I know you were planning on taking some stilt-walking classes on the fly, but between you and me, I heard a group of dudes talking about stilt-walking at the Precompression Party back in June, so that's no longer "unique" or "challenging". But I'll tell you what is: FIRE-DANCING. It's hip, it's now, it's sure to make you the toast of The Playa. And I've got just the guy to teach it to you: BURNING DAN.

Dude that shirt is awesome, seriously.

If Burning Dan (real name: Dan Gordon-Levitt) looks familiar, it's probably because he looks alot like his famous brother, Joseph Gordon-Levitt -- an actor best known for his work on a late 90's docu-drama about reptilian shapeshifters (right). But Dan doesn't need to ride anyone's coattails -- after all, he's a Master Burner well versed in the ways of both Rave and Yoga Culture. This guy lives Namaste and has his Chakras lined up to some seriously cosmic shit, bro. You can tell by his sweet dreads.


There are three basic things you need to understand about Burning Dan before you can absorb his teachings:

1) Burning Dan builds pillow forts on airplanes:



2) Burning Dan is fond of creating animated .gif files:



3) Burning Dan's favorite color is "watermelon":



Left: Dan is proud of his "customized" "watermelon" Converse.

But that isn't all. Dan Gordon-Levitt is a fountain of style, fashion, and good ol' Burner wisdom. I urge you all to explore his website and blog, which can be found here: Burningdan.net.

(You'll be seeing more of Dan and his friends at the new IC-sponsored Tumblr page LookAtThisFuckingBurner.com, launching next month!)

ENJOY!





PS: For those of you who don't read the Comments section -- THIS happened:

Thanks to IC reader Shoelundo for the image. This wonderful juxtaposition is the best thing since, um... THIS:

8 comments:

Ambassador MAGMA said...

He sure gets a lot of gum stuck in his hair

Shoelundo said...

I want the Jimi Marley shirt. Any idea of where one can be found?

Shelby Cobras said...

You have no idea how bad I want that shirt. So far, research has led to naught but dead ends. Let me know if you figure out anything I haven't...

Shoelundo said...

I will comb the far reaches of the interwebs for it. Fuck, can't we just get someone to print it? This is just too good.

If nothing else, someone could make some Violent J shirts.

Shelby Cobras said...

Or shirts that say Violent J and show a picture of Shaggy 2 Dope...

Shoelundo said...

http://africanapparel.bigcartel.com/product/john-marley-t-shirt

Going to order one tonight.

Shelby Cobras said...

Bravo!!!

Aylmer said...

that's a VERY expensive shirt. I'm gonna pay a few bucks more and get it as a back tat. Saves on laundry bills too.