Monday, November 14, 2011

Naked Lunch

I'm not a statistician, but based on the crude, haphazard and half-assed surveying that I've done, I'd be willing to guess that the average IllCon reader has some interest in William S. Burroughs and/or David Cronenberg. As far as my lazy research tells me, there is only one place where the two overlapped, 1991's Cronenberg directed film version of Naked Lunch. The director's early work in the 70's and 80's essentially founded a whole new way of looking at monster horror, namely in which the monster is within ourselves and hence, Burroughs seems a nice fit. Cronenberg has since branched out into new genres but the theme of internal transformation still runs through his work.

While it included many aspects of its titular source, the film Naked Lunch also included biographical material from Burroughs' life. Still, I don't think one necessarily has to be a fan of Burroughs' writing to appreciate the movie. As an exercise in oddity it can stand alone just fine. In truth however, despite my ascribed area of "expertise" here at IllCon I have no intention of talking about the film. I haven't seen it in over a decade. No, what I want to tell you about is the Naked Lunch soundtrack by Howard Shore. Shore got his start working with Cronenberg, and has scored almost all of the director's films (including Videodrome.) Obviously it's a partnership that works, and this Naked Lunch soundtrack is ample proof. Still, I'm not even here to talk to you about the soundtrack to Naked Lunch, merely to point out that it is awesome and encourage you to listen.



Buy yourself some Naked Lunch


Lest you think that Howard Shore is some kind of one director pony however I offer this other awesome selection. In addition to the above, in the same year he scored the phenomenal  psychological crime/horror Silence of the Lambs for director Johnathan Demme. (He also did some Twilight ST's, but whatever, gotta pay the bills right?)


Buy Yourself some Silence of the Lambs

No comments: